Shopping Safety Tips
We can all agree, online shopping is easy & convenient. With just the click of a mouse you can make big purchases such as ordering a car or furniture or locate that perfect outfit for an upcoming concert with a myriad catalog to choose from vendors all around the world. Not to mention your online stores are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so you’re never in a rush. How can you go wrong? Glad you asked!
It’s good to take precautionary measures when online shopping. Scammers posing as legitimate sellers have increased. They’ve been known to trick buyers into paying for products they’ll never receive or products that are not accurate to what was originally advertised for their own selfish financial gain. So what can you do to protect yourself?
Here at Sonic, we’d like to help you with these simple but efficient online shopping tips:
1) Read Reviews: Reviews or the lack thereof helps you to decide on your purchase. It’s worth taking the time to read at least twenty (20) reviews before you decide on any transactions with a seller you have never used. If there are less than twenty reviews you should consider looking for another seller. The proof is in the pudding.
2) If you’re in doubt, don’t buy from that seller: Don’t ignore any red flags. If something feels off, it normally is. Don’t fret, there are countless legitimate vendors selling the products you need.
3) Check the return policy: Sometimes purchases don’t go the way we expect. Thoroughly read return policies and website information. It is better to be proactive, than reactive.
4) Utilize safe payment options: Using a credit gets you the best liability protection.
5) Be careful of rock bottom prices: Many scammers lure online shoppers with mind boggling low prices. I.e. a leather jacket for $11. They steal stock photos from reliable sellers & advertise them as their own. The items shipped (if shipped at all) are most times not as advertised. If it seems too good to be true, it normally is.
6) Stick to trusted sellers: Don’t be deterred from shopping with trusted sellers because of unbelievable discounts from fraudulent sellers. The grass is not always greener on the other side.
7) Shop secure sites: Be mindful of sites that are not encrypted “https” Your personal info such as credit card password can be stolen in such cases. Don’t be negligent.